Where to Buy Vegan Ice Cream: From Target to Specialty Shops
When it comes to finding vegan ice cream, the options are more abundant than ever before. As plant-based diets continue to become more widespread, companies have responded by introducing vegan ice cream options for consumers. Both well-known brands and specialty shops that are creating more and more vegan ice cream options—but where to begin? Ready on for a comprehensive guide to who sells vegan ice cream that you can find near you.
Table of Contents:
- What is Vegan Ice Cream?
- Why Choose Vegan Ice Cream?
- Does Target Have Vegan Ice Cream?
- Does Ben & Jerry’s Have Vegan Ice Cream?
- Does Haagen Dasz Have Vegan Ice Cream?
- Specialty Ice Cream Shops with Dairy-Free Offerings
- Dairy Queen Vegan Ice Cream: Dilly Bars
- Halo Top Scoop Shops Flavors
- McConnell’s Fine Ice Cream Vegan Selection
- Artisanal Brands Crafting Unique Vegan Flavors
- Van Leeuwen’s Artisinal Vegan Ice Cream
- Oatly’s Dairy-Free Ice Cream
- Sunscoop’s Superfood-Fueled Treats
- Consumer Reports' Taste Test Results on Non-Dairy Frozen Desserts
- Top Contenders in Taste Tests
- Best Balance of Nutrition and Flavor
What is Vegan Ice Cream?
Vegan ice cream is made using plant-based ingredients instead of dairy-based ingredients. This means that instead of using cow's milk or cream, manufacturers use alternatives like almond milk, coconut milk, or oat milk. Vegan ice cream can also be made with natural thickeners like guar gum or xanthan gum to create a creamy texture.
Why Choose Vegan Ice Cream?
There are many reasons to choose vegan ice cream over traditional dairy-based ice cream. For one, vegan ice cream is a great option for people with lactose intolerance or dairy allergies. Additionally, choosing plant-based options can be more sustainable and environmentally friendly. Finally, many people find that vegan ice cream offers unique and delicious flavors that can't be found in traditional ice cream.
It’s worth noting though that vegan does not equal “free from allergens”. So vegan products are not necessarily gluten-free. To learn more about which vegan ice creams are gluten-free, check out this article.
Does Target Have Vegan Ice Cream?
For those looking to indulge in a dairy-free treat, retail stores provide an array of vegan ice cream options. For an even wider variety, specialty ice cream shops are now offering up delicious and creamy alternatives that will satisfy any craving.
- Ben & Jerry's Non-Dairy Lineup: Made with almond milk or sunflower butter, these pints come in several delicious flavors such as Phish Food and Chocolate Fudge Brownie.
- Haagen-Dazs Dairy-Free Collection: Indulge in rich and creamy coconut cream or cashew milk-based desserts that include mouthwatering choices like Coconut Caramel Dark Chocolate Bars.
- Oatly Oat Milk Ice Cream: With its unique oat milk base, Oatly offers tasty flavors including Vanilla and Mint Chip - perfect for those who love traditional ice cream tastes but want a dairy-free option.
- Coolhaus Dairy-Free Bars: These scrumptious bars made with cocoa butter are available in tempting varieties such as Cookie Dough Lyfe and Tahitian Vanilla Bean.
- Luna & Larry's Coconut Bliss: Savor the delightful combination of coconut milk and organic agave syrup in flavors like Chocolate Walnut Brownie and Salted Caramel & Chocolate.
Does Ben & Jerry's Have Vegan Ice Cream?
Ben & Jerry's, known for their creative flavor combinations, has expanded its offerings with an impressive non-dairy line of ice creams. Their vegan ice creams use almond milk or sunflower butter as a base and come in fan-favorite flavors like Chocolate Fudge Brownie, Phish Food, and Cherry Garcia. With 17 scrumptious, plant-based options to choose from, you're sure to find your new favorite vegan ice cream.
Does Haagen-Dazs Have Vegan Ice Cream?
If you prefer something more indulgent, look no further than the Haagen-Dazs Dairy-Free Collection. They utilize coconut cream or cashew milk as their creamy base and feature delectable flavors such as Coconut Caramel Dark Chocolate Bars and Peanut Butter Chocolate Fudge Non-Dairy Frozen Dessert. Satisfy your sweet tooth while sticking to your plant-based lifestyle.
Specialty Ice Cream Shops with Dairy-Free Offerings
As the desire for vegan ice cream keeps on expanding, numerous specialty ice cream parlors have started to give dairy-free alternatives in order to draw in a bigger customer base. Plant-based ice cream shops (or at least options) are now more popular than ever.
Dairy Queen Vegan Ice Cream: Dilly Bars
Dairy Queen, a popular chain known for its soft serve and other frozen treats, now offers a vegan Dilly Bar. Made with coconut cream and covered in dairy-free chocolate coating, this tasty ice cream bar is perfect for those looking for plant-based alternatives without sacrificing flavor.
Halo Top Scoop Shop Flavors
You’ve probably heard of Halo Top ice cream in stores, but did you know they have ice cream shops as well? Halo Top Scoop Shops offer an exciting selection of dairy-free flavors such as chocolate and cookie dough. These delicious scoops are made using coconut milk or oat milk, providing a creamy texture similar to traditional dairy-based ice cream.
McConnell's Fine Ice Creams' Vegan Selection
McConnell's Fine Ice Creams' plant-based line features scrumptious flavors like Eureka Lemon & Marionberries and Dark Chocolate Truffle Brownie. Crafted with non-dairy bases such as cashew milk or sunflower butter, McConnell's vegan ice creams provide a rich and indulgent experience comparable to their traditional counterparts.
In addition to these well-known establishments, local artisanal shops like Perry's Ice Cream, Salt & Straw, and Stewart's Shops also feature their own line of non-dairy offerings, ensuring that everyone can enjoy a cool, refreshing treat. While the shops themselves are most often found in Southern California, their pints (dairy-free and dairy) can be found in stores across the country.
Artisanal Brands Crafting Unique Vegan Flavors
As the demand for vegan ice cream continues to grow, artisanal brands are stepping up their game by crafting unique and delicious flavors that cater to a wide range of taste preferences. One such brand is Van Leeuwen Ice Cream, known for its mouthwatering array of vegan options like Salted Caramel, Cookie Crumble Strawberry Jam, and Concord Grape PB&J.
Van Leeuwen's Artisanal Vegan Flavors
Made with cashew milk or oat milk as a base, Van Leeuwen's vegan ice creams offer rich and creamy textures that rival traditional dairy-based ice cream. The vegan and non-vegan communities alike have both praised Van Leeuwen's inventive flavors.
Oatly's Dairy-Free Ice Cream Lineup
Oatly, the popular Swedish oat milk brand, entered the frozen dessert market in 2023 with an impressive lineup of plant-based ice creams made from their signature oat milk. With classic flavors like Chocolate Fudge and Vanilla Bean alongside more adventurous offerings like Hazelnut Swirl, Oatly has quickly become a favorite among those seeking dairy-free alternatives.
Sunscoop's Superfood-Fueled Treats
Sunscoop Foods' line of dairy-free bars combines coconut cream with superfoods like turmeric ginger lemonade to create refreshing treats perfect for hot summer days or post-workout snacks. These delicious snacks offer a mix of sweet indulgence and nourishing components, giving you the perfect balance between flavor and nutrition.
Consumer Reports' Taste Test Results on Non-Dairy Frozen Desserts
If you're looking for the best vegan ice cream options, look no further. Consumer Reports conducted taste tests on 14 popular chocolate non-dairy frozen desserts, and we have the results right here.
Top Contenders in Taste Tests
The top contenders that emerged from these taste tests were Haagen-Dazs Chocolate Salted Fudge Truffle (made with coconut oil) and Van Leeuwen Chocolate Fudge Brownie (made with cashew milk). These two delectable options demonstrate that plant-based ice creams can be just as scrumptious as dairy-based varieties.
Best Balance of Nutrition & Flavor
- Breyers Non-Dairy Chocolate Chocolate Chip: This scrumptious option uses almond milk and cocoa butter to create a smooth texture while still providing an excellent balance of nutrition. You won't feel guilty indulging in this treat.
- Oatly Non-Dairy Frozen Dessert Chocolate: Made with oat milk, this dessert offers a unique flavor profile that's both nutritious and satisfying. Indulge guilt-free in a tasty treat with this vegan ice cream option, perfect for those looking to reach their dietary goals.
With Oatly Non-Dairy Frozen Dessert Chocolate, you can now easily and deliciously incorporate more plant-based foods into your diet. So go ahead, indulge yourself in some mouth-watering dairy-free goodness.
There are plenty of options for those looking to find vegan ice cream. Popular US-based brands like Ben & Jerry's and Haagen-Dazs offer a variety of non-dairy frozen desserts, while major retailers like Target also carry plant-based options. Specialty ice cream shops and artisanal brands are also embracing dairy-free alternatives.
As the need for dairy-free options rises, various companies have begun to introduce inventive items that satisfy those who prioritize health. However, it's important to check nutritional information before indulging to ensure a balance between taste and nutrition. If you want to be absolutely sure of everything going into your ice cream, or want to have more control over your ingredients, you can always make your own homemade vegan ice cream .