How to Make Plant-Based Ice Cream Bars (& Other Vegan Frozen Treats!)
Vegan ice cream treats are a game-changer, folks! No kidding, they're the next big thing in frozen desserts. You might be thinking - can dairy-free really taste that good? Well, some things aren’t too good to be true. With dairy-free vegan ice cream featuring nearly-endless alternative milk options (like cashew and oat milk), plant-based desserts can now be healthy AND delicious! They’re just as creamy and indulgent as their traditional counterparts. The best part is - they come without any of the guilt or stomach issues associated with regular ice cream.
If you want to expand beyond a sundae or cone, you can turn your plant-based ice cream into fun, non-dairy frozen desserts like ice cream pops, ice cream sandwiches, and more!
Table of Contents:
- Turning Plant-Based Ice Cream into Vegan Ice Cream Treats
- Mastering the Art of Portion Control with Vegan Ice Cream
- How to Make Your Own Vegan Ice Cream
- How to Make No-Churn Vegan Ice Cream
- How to Make Plant-Based Ice Cream Bars
- FAQs in Relation to Vegan Ice Cream Treats
Turning Plant-Based Ice Cream into Vegan Ice Cream Treats
Creating vegan ice cream treats at home is a culinary adventure that's as thrilling as it is delicious. The secret to success lies in understanding the balance between your chosen vegan milks and the flavor profiles you're aiming for.
Plant-Based Frozen Desserts (That Aren’t Just Scoops)
- Plant-based Ice Cream Bars: Coat them with vegan dark chocolate, sprinkles, or Oreo crumbs! The ice cream flavors and toppings are endless—especially when you make your own vegan ice cream with Hijinx.
- Vegan Ice Cream Sandwiches: Grab some vegan sea salt chocolate chip cookies and your non-dairy ice cream, and even roll them in crushed pecans for a crunch.
- Pre-Portioned Non-Dairy Ice Cream Bites: Split your favorite non-dairy ice cream into ice cube trays for portioned, snackable treats. If desired, coat with dark chocolate, sprinkles, or other toppings. Keep in your freezer for a hot day!
Mastering the Art of Portion Control with Vegan Ice Cream
Vegan ice cream can be healthier than dairy ice cream. Vegan ice cream, a plant-based alternative to the regular dairy type, can be scrumptious as well as more waistline-friendly. But remember folks: even though it's vegan and may contain less saturated fat than its dairy counterpart, portion control still plays an essential role in keeping yourself healthy.
It’s also important to remember that dairy-free does not mean allergen-free. So be sure to check your ice cream/ingredients for gluten-free confirmation, as well as other allergens.
The Power of Perception: Pre-portioned Plant-Based Treats
A simple trick to fool your mind into thinking you're eating more is by using smaller bowls or cups when serving up these delightful treats. It's all about perception.
Better yet? Consider pre-portioning servings ahead of time. This way temptation won't lead you astray as soon as that container pops open. Whether you portion out grocery store ice cream, or make your own homemade dairy-free frozen desserts, you can prep your dessert portions ahead of time using a few fun strategies.
How to Make Your Own Vegan Ice Cream
First things first - select your base. Whether coconut milk or oat milk, these plant-based alternatives offer unique flavors distinct from traditional dairy-based options. Coconut milk boasts a rich texture and slight sweetness that pairs beautifully with tropical or nutty flavors like toasted almonds or pineapple. Imagine biting into one on a hot summer day. Oat milk, on the other hand, has a mild taste which makes it ideal for more delicate flavors such as vanilla or matcha, imagine this paired up with fruits like strawberries or peaches. A light yet satisfying dessert bar? Yes, please.
Then, create your own plant-based ice cream with a vegan DIY ice cream mix like Hijinx-V. Or, for convenience, buy a pint of dairy-free ice cream at the grocery store. But for the best vegan ice cream that’s completely yours, you may want to try homemade.
How to Make No-Churn Vegan Ice Cream with an Ice Cream Mix
For a simple way to customize ice cream (with less prep time and ingredients), try using an ice cream mix like Hijinx.
- 1 packet Hijinx-V mix
- 1.5 cups water
- Optional: your desired add-ins like dark chocolate, peanut butter, strawberries, brown sugar, Oreos, etc.
- Blend one packet of HIJINX-V ice cream powder with 1.5 cups of water, and add-ins (if you want to blend Oreos for cookies & cream, for example) for 2-3 minutes. Make sure HIJINX is fully dissolved. For a creamier texture, use a hand mixer with the whisk attachment and whisk for 2mins.
- If you have any bigger add-ins—like hazelnuts or vegan cookie dough pieces—that shouldn’t be blended, you can stir or fold them in now.
- Transfer to a freezer-safe container with an airtight lid
- Freeze for 3-6 hours. Enjoy!
Basically, to make a flavored ice cream base, simply add banana to make banana ice cream, add strawberries to make strawberry ice cream, etc.
How to Make Plant-Based Ice Cream Bars
- Create your own flavor of vegan ice cream with Hijinx blend-and-freeze ice cream mix, or grab plant-based ice cream pints (like Nadamoo or Ben & Jerry’s Non-Dairy line) from the grocery store.
- Portion your ice cream into your popsicle molds. Make sure they are frozen before adding any toppings (think chocolate coating or chocolate fudge shell). This way, they'll set properly, ensuring perfect consistency every time.
- Freeze until solid. Then, add your toppings like a dark chocolate coating, chocolate chips (that you can stick to the chocolate before it sets), brown sugar, vegan sprinkles, etc.
- Refreeze to set your toppings. Then enjoy!
How to Make Vegan Ice Cream Sandwiches
- Scoop: Plop your desired amount of dairy-free ice cream directly onto one cookie.
- Sandwich: Slap another cookie on top and press gently to spread the creamy goodness.
- Firm up: Wrap each sandwich in plastic wrap and freeze for at least two hours. No melty messes here.
Remember, balance is key - too much ice cream and you'll have a sticky situation, too little and you'll be left wanting more. Adjust to your liking. Learn more about how to make every part of a vegan ice cream sandwiches, from cookie to ice cream.
How to Make Dairy-Free Ice Cream Bites
Simply portion your ice cream into ice cubes trays, like these ice cube trays from Amazon. Coat with dark chocolate if you’d like! Save for TV time.
FAQs in Relation to Vegan Ice Cream Treats
What is the point of vegan ice cream?
Vegan ice cream provides a dairy-free alternative for those with dietary restrictions, lactose intolerance, or ethical concerns. It also offers a lower-fat dessert option that still satisfies sweet cravings.
Why is vegan ice cream healthier?
Vegan ice cream often contains less saturated fat and cholesterol than traditional dairy-based versions. Plus, it's made from plant-based ingredients, which can provide additional nutrients.
Is vegan ice cream better for the environment?
Yes, producing vegan ice cream generally has a smaller environmental footprint as it requires fewer resources and produces fewer greenhouse gas emissions compared to conventional dairy production.
Is there a market for vegan ice cream?
Absolutely. The global market size for dairy-free frozen desserts was valued at $455.9 million in 2018 and is projected to reach $1.2 billion by 2025.
Embracing the vegan ice cream revolution has never been easier or more delicious. Dairy-free is not just a passing trend, but a growing global market driven by health and ethical concerns.
Making your own vegan ice cream treats at home can be an exciting culinary adventure with endless flavor possibilities. From crafting your own ice cream bars to experimenting with different plant-based milks, you're now equipped with new dessert ideas for every occasion. No need to fret if DIY isn't your thing - store-bought options are plentiful and equally scrumptious!
For ice cream flavor inspiration, recipes, and more, check out these easy, DIY vegan recipes from Hijinx.